Is your little dinosaur fan starting school this year? Whether it is their first of last year or school, they will always need school supplies. For dinosaur fans, what’s better than dinosaur school supplies? We’ve rounded up the 45+ absolute best back to school supplies for dinosaur lovers to help get the school year off to a good start!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. We may earn a small commission if you use these links to make a purchase. Thank you! Please read our full disclosure for more information.
Dinosaur school supplies: the bag
I’m not going to go into where to find fun kids clothes with dinosaurs – it should be a whole post of its own!
So let’s look at the next most obvious of the dinosaur school supplies – the school bag.
Of course, the pattern should be the last criteria when selecting a school bag. The correct size – compared to the child – is vital and it should ideally also be ergonomically designed to protect your child’s back – those school books can get heavy!
Here are some of my favourite finds:
- A fierce backpack for those little dinosaur fans who think they are fierce (or want to be thought of as fierce).
- Another backpack that girls like our LDA are likely to love.
- With laptops and ipads becoming a necessary school supply, especially with online classes, I like the fact that this dinosaur map backpack will fit both.
- As the name suggests, Germany’s Ergobag makes great ergonomic backpacks. They even make a dinosaur one (unfortunately, it is sold out, but you might still be able to get it through a smaller shop).
- This green dinosaur one comes with a matching lunch carrier.
- For a younger child, who does not need to carry as much in their backpack, try this one from Schleich.
- Pottery Barn also makes some great backpacks with dinosaur patterns; you can even get your little dinosaur fan’s name engraved on it.
Whether you buy a special dinosaur backpack or not – our LDA does not have a dinosaur backpack for school – don’t forget your own bit of dino backpack bling to make it easier to identify your child’s backpack!
Dinosaur school supplies: lunch boxes
We could have a whole post about dinosaur lunch boxes. In fact, we have two that suggest some dinosaur lunch boxes: make some reusable dinosaur food wraps or look at what to put in your child’s bento box.
Dinosaur school supplies: Stationery
Every little dinosaur fan needs some pens, pencils and other stationery for their first day of school. Admittedly, not all of it needs to be dinosaur-themed.
Lots of museums have some great dinosaur school supplies like pens and pencil sharpeners in their gift shop. If you are planning a visit, make sure you check them out and support the museum too.
Of course, we’ve found some fun things online, too:
- Pencil cases are a great place to start. In Germany, school bags often come with matching pencil cases, such as this set. This astronaut dinosaur pencil case is fun (and I know I have seen some similar fabric that would make great dinosaur food wraps). I prefer this kind of pencil case, but I’m not the one who is about to start school. If your little dinosaur fan is a pencil hoarder, this dino pencil case can hold up to 220 pencils.
- There are a number of fun dinosaur pens around, such as this T-Rex pen, or these much cuter dinosaur pens. I love these novelty bone pens, but they might be more suitable for an older child (but they can still have a first day, right?).
- Why stop at pens? Why not try some lead pencils with cute dinosaur erasers? Or this great T-Rex highlighter? This cute Stegosaurus crayon holder with crayon backplates is great for younger kids.
Don’t forget to get labels for all your little dinosaur fan’s pencils, pens, etc.
Dinosaur school supplies: Other stationary and activity books
Some stationary does not need to go to school with your child, but there are still things that little dinosaur fans would love:
- Our LDA has taken to writing cards and letters recently and she loves notebooks. Perhaps this writing set would be good for her, or this minimalist set?
- How about a pen holder for your little dinosaur fan’s desk? This T-Rex one is fun. Or this egg pencil holder would suit a softer bedroom.
- Stamp sets, such as this one, are fun, especially for younger children.
- For those little dinosaur fans who prefer or need to work on their fine motor skills, try a dinosaur perler kit.
- Is your little dinosaur fan just learning to write? How about a handwriting book for practise?
- How about some colouring pages? This dinosaur colour by sticker book is fun. Or this colour by number book. Don’t forget to subscribe to our emails to get your own free printable copy of our dinosaur colouring book!
Dinosaur school supplies: Sanitary items
It’s sad, but now more than ever, certain sanitary items are necessary school supplies – from the very first day of school. So why not have some fun with them and make them dinosaur school supplies?
- Tissues are always a good idea, especially if your child is prone to allergies.
- Hand sanitiser is a must. While many schools provide it, give your child their own to use whenever they need it.
- If your child needs to take medication to school, get a small toiletries bag or pencil case to put them in and keep them easy to find.
- Face masks – an unfortunate necessity. I prefer disposables, one a day, like these blue face masks with dinosaurs or this fun face mask. These face masks with dinosaurs dancing to music are quite cute.
Shhhh: Don’t tell your LDA, but these are great gifts to put in the school cone for their first days of school (instructions coming soon). .
other useful dinosaur school supplies
There is always a handful of things that don’t really fit under any heading…
- An umbrella is always useful. This one and this one change colours when they get wet. This one has “wings”. Or for a more compact umbrella (that might fit in their school bag), try this one or perhaps one with pink sauropods?
- A watch can be useful. Our LDA has this pink dinosaur watch. This black digital watch is also fun.
- Do you need a case to protect your ipad? How about this colourful dinosaur case?
- These cable protectors are useful and cute, too.
- This globe learning game looks like fun and reminds me of one of our LDA’s favourite dinosaur apps.
- How about a Velociraptor “Keep out” sign for your LDA’s bedroom door?
- We have a flamingo led light, but I know our LDA would take this dinosaur led light in a flash.
Get your child ready for school with some essential dinosaur school supplies
Get your little dinosaur fan’s school year off to a good start with some fun and useful dinosaur school supplies. There is no need to go overboard and make sure absolutely everything is dino-themed – a little goes a long way! But a little does go a very long way