It’s the festive season, so most of us are looking for some unique dinosaur gifts for their little dinosaur fans. We are too. Let me let you in on a little secret: you can get great dinosaur gifts from your favourite museum. Better yet, your purchases will support the museum, which is especially important this year. We’ve scoured the shop of our favourite museum to find the best dinosaur gifts for dinosaur fans.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. We may earn a small commission if you use these links to make a purchase. Thank you! Please read our full disclosure for more information.
Naturally, we couldn’t search the gift shops of all dinosaur museums. It would just take too long and many still do not have an online store.
Instead, we’ve focused on the Natural History Museum in London for five main reasons:
- It is a great museum. It is widely recognized as one of the best dinosaur museums in the world (our review is coming soon).
- It has a great museum shop, with a large range of customizable goods and NHM branded goods (that are not available anywhere else).
- Not only do they have a great range, but mast of the gifts are vetted so that you are more likely to get anatomically-correct dinosaurs.
- Entry to the museum is free. A large portion of the monies use to maintain and update exhibits therefore comes from sales through the museum shop.
- Mrs Maiasaura is an affiliate for the shop. This means that we will receive a small payment for any purchases you make through our link, at no extra cost to you.
You can find all of the articles we mention below in the Museum shop.
So, without further ado, let’s get on with the list!
Great toy dinosaur gifts from your favourite museum
Of course, you couldn’t have a list of great dinosaur gifts from your favourite museum without include some dinosaurs.
The Museum sells a number of model dinosaurs. This Model T-Rex was the one that our LDA wanted.
The Museum shop also sells a number of stuffed toys. After much deliberation, our LDA decided that she liked the Pachycephalosaur best.
Our LDA was also keen to get this red knitted Triceratops, though she might be willing to give it to a younger dinosaur fan.
There are lots of ‘in an egg’ options available. These fossil skeleton in an egg are some of the best I have seen.
For something a little more unusual, how about a printed miniature 3D Dippy skull?
Dress up costumes to find at your favourite museum
You know we like a good dinosaur-themed costume. Our favourite museum has quite a good selection.
Your child may prefer to dress as a dinosaur. This Triceratops costume is gorgeous (and fits a child up to ages 7-9).
Great gear for dinosaur experiments
Our LDA loves doing dinosaur experiments. She wanters around the backyard, looking for footprints and imagining that she has seen or heard dinosaurs. I think she may have watched a little too much Dino Dana.
Still, her doing experiments means that she is outside in the fresh air and is engaging in the world around her. It is something Daddysaurus and I support. To help her, we’ve gathered together a little experiment kit, which she keeps in a backpack.
Our LDA has a dinosaur backpack, but I know she would love this Triceratops backpack.
She has this projector torch and loves it! I think I actually purchased it on a trip to London and the Natural History Museum without her.
Now that she is learning to tell the time, this projector watch would be useful and fun.
Our LDA loves excavating dinosaur fossils! She had a great time working with Daddysaurus to excavate a Brachiosaurus fossil at Münchehagen Dinosaur Park. This dinosaur excavation kit would be good for her at the moment.
This pocket microscope is already in our shopping basket for Christmas this year.
Great board games to find at your favourite museum
Lockdowns and now Winter has meant that our LDA is really getting into board games. Here’s a few dinosaur themed ones you might like.
- dinosaur memory cards (the Museum also has the books that the pictures are from)
- Guess Who: our LDA loves sorting dinosaurs at the moment, too, so this game would probably be a hit.
- This dinosaur trumps game is actually approved by palaeontologists.
- Shhh, don’t tell her, but our LDA is getting this dinosaur operation for Christmas.
- I am interested to see how the museum changed this dinosaur Monopoly to dino-fy it.
Great dinosaur books to find at your favourite museum
Our LDA receives at least one book each year for Christmas and St Nicholas. This year, she’s getting some more dinosaur books.
- Love a good pop-up? Try this Pop-up encyclopedia.
- This Mad About Dinosaurs book would make a good stocking stuffer.
- That’s Not My Dinosaur: Our LDA loved this book when she was younger.
- Katie and the Dinosaurs looks lovely.
- Our LDA loved using the T-Rex roar mixer from the AMNH. This Dinosaur sound book would also be a hit.
- I’m all for promoting the world of women in science. This book about the original Fossil Girl, Mary Anning, is great.
- If you are looking for a Christmas-themed book, try Dinosaur Christmas. Our LDA loves it.
- St Nicholas is bringing a copy of Dinosaur go Christmas Shopping for our LDA.
If you want more book tips check out our post on great dinosaur books for the festive season.
Great dinosaur clothing gifts to find at your favourite museum
Any list of great dinosaur gifts from your favourite museum must include some clothing. The best thing about the clothing options from the Natural History Museum in London is the number of pieces that can be personalized.
The sentiment of this bite me t-shirt is perfect on many occasions.
I wish these dinosaur skeleton socks came in my size.
Which one should I choose to personalize for our LDA? (And this is only a selection):
If she was a little smaller, I would even get one of these personalised denim jackets for our LDA.
Great dinosaur gifts from your favourite museum for budding artists
Our LDA loves crafting things to do with dinosaurs, as our growing dinosaur crafts section will show. If you have a budding artist, here are some things that might help.
- This mini paint set comes with two dinosaur models to paint. Our LDA wanted the velociraptor and stegosaurus set.
- Alternatively, try this mould and paint set.
- Dinosaur coloured pencils would never go astray.
- This sticker book is great for those who can’t wait for the paint to dry.
Great dinosaur gifts from your favourite museum for the home
One way to get your little dinosaur fan to eat their food – including their vegetables – is to serve it on a Dinosaur dinner set.
Our LDA has a Triceratops version of this dinosaur mouth cup. It’s so cute when she uses it.
I am going to add some of these glow-in-the-dark dinosaurs to our LDA’s stocking.
I really like these dinosaur string lights and might make them a more permanent decoration.
Great dinosaur gifts from your favourite museum – for the adults
Why should kids have all the fun? You can find some great dinosaur gifts from your favourite museum for adults too.
Many of the personalized t-shirts also come in adult sizes.
I have this fossil scarf and love it! It is such a nice weight. The kids at the kindergarten love it too when they realize it has dinosaurs on it.
This looks like a good read: The Rise and all of the Dinosaurs.
If you are willing to spend a little more money and are a fan of chess, this chess set is fun.
Don’t forget the adult dinosaur tails.
Great Christmas decorations to find at your favourite museum
‘Tis the season. So why not get some Christmas decorations at the museum? They make great gifts too!
These T-Rex Christmas stockings are a great idea, though I’m not sure I want one hanging on our mantle.
We’re looking at making some Christmas ornaments for our tree this year, but we might get some of these too (or use them as inspiration):
- This Skating dinosaur ornament even skates and reminds you of the ice rink next to the Natural History Museum each winter.
- This Blue knitted Stegosaurus ornament is so cute – and it would take too much effort for me to make one. It also comes as a Pterodactyl, T-Rex, a woolly mammoth and a Triceratops in the cutest striped scarf.
- Alternatively, try a T-Rex bearing gift: felt T-Rex ornament.
- I love this embroidered Stegosaurus Christmas decoration. I’m still undecided as to whether I will buy it or use it as inspiration.
Other dinosaur gifts that support your museum
There are other things that you can gift to support your favourite museum, too.
In some places (such as here in Germany), museums are currently closed due to COVID restrictions. Why not buy a ticket or voucher for a ticket to visit when the museums reopen?
Is entry to your dinosaur museum free? It is for the Natural History Museum in London! Still, why not gift a time window booking for entry? Or give the gift of museum membership? Or a voucher for Dino Snores (a unique sleepover) or other special events at the museum?
Pssst: There are Dino Snores for adults too!
Don’t forget your welcome pack.
Museums also produce a number of goods; purchases support their work whether you buy directly from the Museum or not (though some are exclusive to the museum). For example, one of our recommended dinosaur festive reads, “The Dinosaur’s Night Before Christmas” by Anne Muecke and Nathan Hale, is not only set in the Dinosaur Hall of the American Museum of Natural History, but part of the proceeds go towards the Museum.
St Nicholas left a copy of “The Dinosaur’s Night Before Christmas” in our LDA’s boots and she LOVES it. The CD that comes with the book was on repeat most of the day…
Get great dinosaur gifts from your favourite Museum this Christmas!
Our list is by no means exhaustive! There are many more great dinosaur gifts available from your favourite museum. Unlike many things that you could gift, you know your little dinosaur fan will love them and that you are supporting a good cause. So why not source some of your gifts from your favourite museum this year?